Your DEWALT MD501 just got even better! So what’s new in Android™ 6 Marshmallow!
- Now on Tap: get assistance without having to leave what you’re doing – whether you’re in an app or on a website. Just touch and hold the home button.
- Do more with your voice. Now you can have a dialogue with any of your apps that support the new voice interaction service. For example, if a user says “play some music on TuneIn,” TuneIn will respond by asking “What genre?”.
- Direct Share: a fast and easy way to share to the right person in the right app.
- Doze: when your device is at rest, Doze automatically puts it into a sleep state to increase your standby battery life.
- App Standby: no more battery drain from seldom used apps; App Standby limits their impact on battery life so that your charge lasts longer.
- USB Type C support*: Quickly transfer power and data all through the same cable. Lightning fast charging gives you hours of power in just minutes.
Privacy & Security
- On an Android™ Marshmallow device, apps designed for Android Marshmallow only ask for permission right when it’s needed. You can deny any permission and still continue to use the app.
- Advanced controls to turn permissions on or off for all of your installed apps.
- Verified boot: when your Android device boots up, it will warn you if the firmware and Android operating system have been modified from the factory version.
- Use fingerprint sensors to unlock your device, make purchases in Google Play, authenticate transactions in apps and pay in stores.
Android Runtime (“ART”)
- Improved application performance and lower memory overhead for faster multi-tasking.
- Bluetooth™ stylus support*, including pressure sensitivity and modifier keys.
- Improved typesetting and text rendering performance.
- Smarter text selection, built-in undo/redo and text actions closer to your fingers.
- Text selection actions such as a new Translate option that lets you translate text from one language to another right on the spot. (Note: requires Google Translate app installed.)
- Save paper with duplex printing support.
System usability improvements
- App links: enables installed apps to automatically handle their web URLs so that you can jump right into the app, rather than the mobile web site, as appropriate.
- Easily toggle and configure Do Not Disturb from quick settings.
- If someone calls you twice within 15 minutes, you can choose to allow the call to ring through while Do Not Disturb is enabled.
- Use automatic rules to enable Do Not Disturb for as many customised time blocks as you like or around events on your calendar.
- Simplified volume controls allow you to manage notification, music and alarm volumes easily from anywhere with the touch of your volume keys.
- Streamlined Settings let you manage an app’s settings all in one place, from battery and memory usage, to notifications and permissions controls.
- Google Now Launcher app list refreshed with search, fast alphabetic scrolling and predictive App Suggestions.
- More power efficient Bluetooth Low Energy (“BLE”) scanning for nearby beacons and your accessories.
- Hotspot 2.0: Connect to compatible Wi-Fi networks seamlessly and securely.
- Bluetooth SAP: Make calls from your carphone using your phone’s SIM.
- Portable Wi-Fi hotspot now supports 5 GHz frequency bands.
Flex Storage: makes using SD cards or external storage devices as encrypted expanded storage for your apps and games on Android Marshmallow a whole lot easier.
- Device setup and migration
- Easily transfer your accounts, apps and data to a new device.
- During setup, you can add an additional personal or corporate email account (e.g. IMAP)
- Auto backup for Apps: seamless app data backup and restore.
- Backup/restore of additional system settings such as your Sync settings, preferred apps, Do Not Disturb settings, Accessibility settings and enabled IMEs.
- MIDI support: create, consume and perform music using your Android device with USB MIDI devices, MIDI over BLE and software-based MIDI devices.
- Android is now available in 74+ languages with 6 new additions: Azerbaijani, Gujarati, Kazakh, Albanian, Urdu and Uzbek.